Saturday 3 January 2015

AJE - December Component of the month

Happy New Year! I hope this post finds you well and that you've had a wonderful Christmas and New Year! I'm really exited to see what 2015 brings, I have lots of plans and resolutions that I'm looking forward to putting in to action!

This year, one of my resolutions is to try and keep up with blogging a little better (I wonder how many people have said that!) We'll see ;)

My first post of 2015 is the Art Jewelry Elements Component of the month reveal for December.

We were each given a gorgeous clay snowflake handmade by Diana Ptaszynski of Suburban Girl Studio LLC.



Originally, I wanted to make an ornament for my tree, but after a few failed attempts, I gave up. It looked lovely in my head, wrapped copper and red with the snowflake as the focal, but I just couldn't get it out as I'd imagined.

So I switched ideas and decided to make a brooch. I've had these kilt pins for ages and never known what to do with them, so I imagined a snowfall pin.



I really wanted to use navy blue seed beads to represent the sky with the sparkly snowflakes in Czech crystal and moonstones. I had every colour of seed bead other than navy, so I went with crystal AB finishing off the ends with Czech drops and silver stars.



I'm a sucker for dangles and I love how this has turned out (although I think the navy would have been a better contrast!). I think I might order some blue beads and make another.

Thank you to Diana for a great focal, and if you'd like to see what the rest of the team has done, follow the links...

17 comments:

  1. Very pretty and evocative design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really fun piece! Love the dangles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the white beads that you used. The beads bring out the white in the snowflake. Well done, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great texture, great sparkle! And I love that you are always thinking outside the box. I agree the navy would have been intense... but I DO like what you have done. What fun movement it will have on a jacket or lapel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caroline, Your brooch is very creative and unique. Simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of snowfall and Diana's snowflake is perfect in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this! What an innovative idea and the beaded snowfall behind the focal is just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's stunning! It's like the best kind of blizzard one could ever be subjected to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very sweet design. I'd probably pin it through one of my super chunky knit scarves or right onto my peacoat lapel. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never have thought of using a brooch to highlight the pretty snowflake bead. You did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caroline, what a brilliant piece. How excellent that you kept after it until the beads showed you what to do. Hmmm, I have a kilt pin in my stash....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! Thank you for reminding me that I have some of those kilt pins too :) They will work nicely with my new sweaters...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely! This can be worn so many ways...with a beautiful sweater or on a coat, a shawl...so versatile! The star charms were a super addition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and unique use of Diana's pendant. It will be a gorgeous accent on the lapel of a winter coat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so creative, it will make anything it is worn on so elegant and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! I like the kilt pin and the fringe reminds me of snowfall. Lovely palette too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments... Please do say hello!